I made the mistake of asking Owen (now five) what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday.
"I want a number 5!" he shouted.
If this should happen to you, here are a few hints:
1. Don't buy the cake pan in the shape of number 5. It's expensive, and how many chances will you have to use it?
2. If you use a cake mix (which I suggest...although homemade cakes are wonderful), cut out most if not all of the water. The cake will be dense, but much easier to cut.
3. Fill one 9" round and one 8" x 8" square. Bake according to package directions.
4. After the cake has cooled, cut as seen below:
5. Freeze the cake before icing. Yes, FREEZE the cake. The pros to it...it prevents crumbles when spreading the icing.
6. Have your sister-in-law's boyfriend (his family owns a bakery in St. Louis) add nifty trim.
Yeah, 5 cake! (the horror...)
In other news, a Holland Lop by the name of Snickers came to live with us this weekend (Owen's birthday present). Yes, that is the rabbit's tongue hanging out of his mouth.