Friday, April 30, 2010

Blue Collar Boys


A Ray Bradbury inspired flash, "Blue Collar Boys", is up at Every Day Fiction today. It takes a little Fahrenheit 451 background knowledge to "get", so I'm sure I'll get pounded in the comments. Such is life.

You see, Montag's wife overdoses on sleeping pills early on in the book, and a couple of "blue collar boys" arrive after the emergency call. From Fahrenheit 451:

"Hell!" The operator's cigarette moved on his lip. "We get these cases nine or ten a night...You don't need an M.D., case like this; all you need is two handymen, clean up the problem in half an hour."

Just like plumbers. Man, I love that book.

And before you go, please sign up for the newsletter using the link under the title header (top of the page). I'm working on migrating my whole website to the blogger format--it's so much easier to update.

I know I can't compete with Shroud's offer if you sign up for their newsletter, but I will send a free, unpublished story to my new subscribers. That's worth something, isn't it? Maybe?

Yeah, and finally, the followers thingy is back. A few comments convinced me it's for the readers as much as anybody. I'll climb a ladder to the moon for my readers, so tada...

Have a great weekend.

7 comments:

Kara McElhinny said...

Great story Aaron. Congrats!! I liked the way it built up and they "got" the clue he didn't want to be around anymore. :D

L.R. Bonehill said...

Another great story, Aaron.

Katey said...

Yeah I really liked the buildup and payoff in that one. That's what flash should be like.

K.C. Shaw said...

Excellent story! Really well done. Dang, that one's going to stay with me all day, I think.

Cate Gardner said...

Very well done. Congrats, Aaron.

Fox Lee said...

When you get to the moon, carve DJ Ozma's face in it. Thank you.

Danielle Birch said...

Sorry I was a bit late to the party, I've been offline for a few days. A very well written story with a lovely touch of darkness.