Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Editing Ninja Rises Again: Me and I

It's been a while since I've tackled an Editing Ninja post, but leave it to my students to provide inspiration.

Let's talk about personal pronouns, the first-person variety.

I is a subject. Use me when it's an object of a verb or preposition.

Incorrect: Vanessa and me like to watch old horror movies.

Correct: Vanessa and I love Vincent Price.

Incorrect: John invited Vanessa and I to his horror movie marathon.

Correct: John invited Vanessa and me to his horror movie marathon.

Simple, right? Eliminate the "___ and" and you can easily see which pronoun is correct. No one over the age of three would say "Me like to watch old horror movies."

Unless you are Cookie Monster.






1 comment:

Alan W. Davidson said...

Thanks for that tip, mighty ninja.

I've always been at odds about which way to go with that (needless to say it's been a 50/50 chance...until now).