Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Ghost of my Father

Yesterday, I received word that "In Old Water" made it into Northern Haunts. Yes, I jumped for joy. The idea that I could donate my meager talent to a project to help fight the big C, well that thrilled me. My dad died in 1989 after a protracted battle with brain cancer and a cure that may have been worse than the disease.

I kind of like that particular story, too. In thinking about the Northeast, my imagination kept lingering on Walden Pond (I occasionally teach Thoreau). I thought about the age of things in that part of the country, all the violence during the French/Indian War, the Revolutionary War, etc. The water, it seems, has a memory of those things...

This will make a fine gift for Mom, although she probably won't read a word. She doesn't really like "scary" stuff.

3 comments:

Natalie L. Sin said...

Congratulations on the acceptance!
My mother is also horror-phobic. She tried to read "Memory Lane" in the HELP anthology but told me there was "too much swearing."

Catherine J Gardner said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Can't wait for Northern Haunts to be released.

Lonna said...

You write very well.