Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Dark Knight and a Barbarian from the Past

Okay, I went to see Dark Knight last night. I'm a Marvel guy at heart; Superman? Wonder Woman? Blah. Batman, he's psycho enough to fit in with Marvel greats like Spiderman, Punisher, et. al.

So the movie...wow. That's about all I can say. Most reviews have been positive...some, lukewarm. One complaint from some critics: the tempo doesn't let up throughout. This bad boy is all climax folks, and don't expect your heart to stop thrumming for a good hour after the show. All the major players were brilliant, including (I'm sure all of you have heard) the late Heath Ledger as the Joker.

The preview for Watchmen looked amazing as well--some of the sequences matched panel & perspective from the graphic novel. That will be a real treat next summer.

In other comic related news, I stumbled across Mark Evanier's official website. (I'm such a geek!) He was part of the creative team behind the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon back in the early 1980s, and wrote Groo the Wanderer with Sergio Aragones (a comic book about a moronic barbarian with the destructive force of a class five tornado). I still have stacks of Groo down in the basement somewhere...

1 comment:

Fox Lee said...

D.C. is generally too tame for me, as well. Tormented heroes are much better, maybe because we get to suffer along with them? Spiderman and Nightcrawler are my favorites.