Friday, May 23, 2008

The End of Things

Today is the last contractual day of the 2007-08 school year. (giant sigh)

Now, due to the magic of computing, I'm finishing this post on Saturday morning. We had a partial power outage last night and one of those raging midwest thunderstorms. Lightning lit the house at 3 AM--gave it that day-glo feel.

I am officially an affiliate member of the Horror Writer's Association. My quallifying sale went to Necrotic Tissue (and I had a second qualifier to Firefox News the next week). I'm quite stoked.

Other than that, the week has been pretty quiet: just a couple rejections and one "short list". I've finished two very short pieces--one goofy bit about Beowulf showing up on some guy's couch the morning after a black metal concert ("Ditching Beowulf"), the other a semi-sci fi/horror piece about a misguided man resurrected by a lonely exile ("Simple Things"). Both are out, fingers crossed.

Waiting is the hardest part, isn't it?

I'm off to the Kansas State Softball tournament. My school (where I teach, that is) is in the semis this morning. Should be a good game. Yesterday (today at the beginning of the post--weird), I played the bass drum in a little impromptu pep rally. The band consisted of all staff members with the principal playing lead on trumpet. Good times.

I'm glad the bass drum was open; I haven't played alto sax since seventh grade (a good twenty years ago...).

Peace.

No comments: