Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Stories

I woke this morning to an email from Shock Totem's editor-in-chief Ken Wood. It seems "Wanting It" from Shock Totem #3 made Ellen Datlow's list of Honorable Mentions for Best Horror of the Year Volume 4 (2011).  I took a gander at the full list, and it seems two other tales of mine, "Molting Season" from Polluto 7 and "Ngiri's Catch" from Historical Lovecraft, also made the list. An honorable mention hat trick.

Thanks, Ms. Datlow. And thanks as well to Ken Wood and the Shock Totem staff, Adam Lowe and Victoria Hooper of Polluto, and Silvia Moreno-Garcia and Paula R. Stiles, editors of Historical Lovecraft.

Aimee always told me she wished I could stay home and write full time. I just wanted to tell stories, good stories. I wanted her to be proud, too.

I've made "Wanting It" available to read as a PDF for free. Simply click the link below. It's one of my favorite stories, and one which really strikes at the hurt which has burrowed into my chest.

Download "Wanting It"

I hope you're proud, Ziggs. These are for you, especially "Wanting It"; every night now I feel like I'm alone on the farmhouse floor, waiting for you.


10 comments:

Barry Napier said...

Very nice. Congrats. It's also great to see that you're using your stories as a healing mechanism of sorts. All the best with the writing and the healing.

Aaron Polson said...

It's the best mechanism I have, Barry. And even as the best, it falls woefully short.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Aaron. Nice recognition.

Cate Gardner said...

Awesome news (and well deserved)

Aaron Polson said...

Thanks Iain, Cate.

Doug Murano said...

Stories like "Wanting It" make me want to be a better writer. Kudos to you, Aaron.

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Congratulations Aaron, so well deserved. You are such a fine writer. And that photo of you and Aimee, your beautiful, beautiful wife, is stunning.

Martin Rose said...

Thanks for sharing the story out, Aaron! I'm afraid until I make my millions my poverty determines my reading material, and sadly small press publications don't always find their way to the library.

You've worked hard for those mentions; let's hope one day I'll be congratulating you on being able to ditch the day job and write full time, eh?

kimhubbell said...

You are right Aaron, Aimee would be so proud. She was always so proud of your writing! Congratulations!

Sara Ziegler said...

Aimee is and always has been proud of you Aaron. I am too, love you.