Wednesday, July 14, 2010

WIP Wednesday: Trying to be a Better Citizen

If you haven't noticed, I've been a piss-poor citizen of the online community this summer. Not only has my posting frequency fallen into the proverbial toilet, I haven't made "commenting rounds" enough. I feel disconnected. Disillusioned with writing, too, but that's another story.

I'll try to be a better citizen. Promise. Just like I promise to write more.

Right after we get back from Chicago. We're taking Owen and Max to Chi-town on Thursday, their first "big city" trip (I don't count St. Louis because, well, family lives there). It will also mark Owen's first trip on a plane. Max flew with Aimee when he was like...five months old.

So fun. Exciting. Maybe a little nerve-wracking.

Maybe I can dredge some story ideas from the chilly depths of Lake Michigan. Maybe something prehistoric-looking in the tank at Shedd Aquarium will swim to the edge of the glass and make eye contact with me, sparking ancient memories in my brain. Maybe we'll lose our luggage.


Only time will tell.

"See" you next week.

15 comments:

Jamie Eyberg said...

Have a blast and get online and order a CityPass. It will save you a bunch of money if you are planning on seeing a lot of the sights around the city. My kids really like the Field Museum this summer, although they are still talking about the Aquarium as well.

L.R. Bonehill said...

I’m with you on feeling disconnected – I think I’m managing my distractions a little too well at the minute… and still not getting enough writing done.

Never fear - there’s always a good story in lost luggage.

By the way – love the cover of House Eaters.

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of us feel the same way at the moment. We're smack dab in the middle of summer and I don't know about you, but my schedule has been thrown off. Enjoy your vacation and remember that we'll all be here when you get back.

And City Passes rock!

-Mercedes

Barry Napier said...

Have a great trip!

Brendan P. Myers said...

Hell, it's the summertime. We only get so many. Enjoy.

Fox Lee said...

You're going to the Shedd aquarium?? You have no idea how badly I want to go to that place.

Katey said...

The Shedd is one of my favorite places in the country! So, so awesome-- and nothing's much scarier than deep sea, is it?

Enjoy the trip (as if you need me to tell you!) and I'll try to be a better citizen too. I get so distracted in summer.

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

I saw "piss-poor" leap off the page and had to come here. Any story with piss-poor in it is righteous in my books.
Happy travelling!

Danielle Birch said...

Have a fantastic time. A trip to the aquarium sounds great to me, plenty of inspiration to be found there.

Michael Stone said...

Enjoy the trip. Hope it recharges the batteries. When you're running low you don't feel creative or want to read blogs and comment - that's perfectly understandable. I get the same way myself.

Anthony Rapino said...

Hey hey, have a great trip!

Cate Gardner said...

Enjoy your trip, and find a dark alley in which to leave your disillusionment in Chicago.

kirkesque said...

Aaron,

Just read your piece "Dancing Lessons" in Basement Stories. Very nice. Terse prose and a wired tension in it. I don't had out praise easily, but I was quite impressed with it.

Looking at your blogger profile I remembered a storySouth piece from last year you wrote. Great magazine.

Good luck on your upcoming books.

~kirk

Kara McElhinny said...

Good luck with the ideas Aaron and don't beat yourself up too much about the non blogging/commenting thing. I think we're all having RL summer vacation bloggy breaks. It happens something and we just have to ride it out and know that everything will be good on the other side :D

Have some great trips! Happy Flight!

Kara

K.C. Shaw said...

I'm so rotten about keeping up with my online friends that I only just today read your post, and you're probably home by now. I hope you had a great time and got lots of fantastic ideas for stories!