Wednesday, March 10, 2010

WIP Wednesday: Plurality

In other words, what am I not working on?

My YA WIP has a title. Sort of. The word borrowers or borrowed will be in there somewhere. Maybe. (I wouldn't want to mix readers up with The Borrowers.) See, there are certain malevolent spirits in the book who sneak into living bodies (body-grabbing) and cause some real effed-up mayhem (let's call it "personality confusion"). Our dear protagonist can see "borrowed" people, just as he can see the ghosts (or at least echoes of them). Of course, at this early stage in the book, he isn't sure what the $(#&^! is going on. Development of ancillary characters has been one of the weaknesses of my earlier YA books, so I'm spending some serious time putting the secondary cast through their paces as well. Basically, I'm plotting extensively before writing much more. So there, paltry word count!

Then there's the short stories...when will I ever stop? I've had three very tantalizing "short list"/"moving on to the other editors" messages in the last few days. These notices just make me want to write more shorts! Agggh! (but it hurts sooooo good)

I have other projects in the works. But those are still secret. Some involve my work; some the work of others. (tee-hee)

Oh yeah...the Shock Totem contest...beta-reading...a few subs for the Sand Chapbooks to read...

*sigh*

Good thing spring break is next week, huh?

10 comments:

Jamie Eyberg said...

Aaron, I have determined you will never get caught up. Ever.

Aaron Polson said...

Thanks Jamie. I appreciate your support. ;)

Cate Gardner said...

I could be travelling the wrong path, but I don't think the secret concerning your work is very secret... Either that, or I'm very good at reading between the lines or stalking you or both...

And the new YA... I do believe you have a winner.

Katey said...

I feel you on the excess plotting before writing. My whole week has been taken up on that count, and it feels all stagnant... but it must be done.

Here's to spring break letting you catch up, no matter what Jamie says!

Barry Napier said...

I really like reading your posts because it makes me realize I am not really as busy as I think...not compared to you, anyway...

Fox Lee said...

Ah Spring, so much sun and warm weather.

Fuck.

Aaron Polson said...

Cate - I'm very bad at hiding from stalkers, so...I hope the YA book is good.

Katey - I'll tick off a few things from the list, but probably add three or four more.

Barry - At least I'm juggling relatively small projects. You're the man with the novels in the air.

Natalie - Summer's the worst. Heat is the happy killer. :(

K.C. Shaw said...

The not-the-Borrowers book sounds awesome! That's a wonderfully creepy idea.

I'm enjoying spring break right now (although I do have to work Friday). It's great! I'll sleep an extra hour tomorrow morning for you. :)

Danielle Birch said...

The YA sounds excellent.

We are finishing with summer here and that makes me happy.

Andrea Allison said...

The sighting of the first tornado in Oklahoma of the year always smells of spring.

I commend you on your productivity. The book sounds interesting. :)