Wednesday, March 3, 2010

WIP Wednesday: I'm Writing. Promise.

My supposed "WIP" is a stubborn monkey.

I have managed a few thousand words since last week. I've also written two flash pieces (one for the Shock Totem competition) and started a short story. In addition, I've made progress on the chapbook front for Strange Publications. So, yeah, I'm giving the novel short shrift.

Sue me. My protag is a nasty, sarcastic teenage boy. Sue him, too.

Our resident born-again Elvis impersonator, Matthew Rexrode, sat next to Christina. He told me once I’d burn in hell for having “bad thoughts” about women. I asked him how Elvis felt about having his mojo thieved by such a total butt-nugget. Matt made collages, Jesus or a cross in every one. Think: “variations on WWJD”.

And feel free to investigate the merits of giving your work away with Scott Sigler.

12 comments:

Katey said...

HAHAHA he used the word butt-nugget. I love this kid already. Explains why I end up writing a lot of boy PoV, I guess. Girls don't use that word often. They use nastier words.

Variations on WWJD. That was Handel right? :D I love it.

Interesting link. I like what the comments say about work vs. reward and all that. All depends on what you really want to spend your time doing, or how prepared you really are (mentally) to do it.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Great little excerpt. I'm liking that one already...and BOO! to stubborn monkeys.

Thanks also for the link. I'm sure that's subject matter for a future, in-depth post...

Aaron Polson said...

Katey - I'm trying to really pour on the teen-angst. Maybe that's why I'm struggling...not feeling too angsty right now.

Alan - It's going to be fun if the monkeys get in line.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I am amazed you can do any writing with everything else you do. I wouldn't be able to do it.

Fox Lee said...

You, sir, have been nominated.

Anonymous said...

Busy, busy man!

So remember when I wowed you by ordering pizza online? Not only am I currently ordering pizza online, but I'm ordering pizza that will be prepared and delivered IN SIX HOURS. See how futuristic I am? Also, I briefly deviated from ordering said pizza so that I could tell you about it. Gotta love technology!

-Mercedes

Danielle Birch said...

Butt-nugget :)

K.C. Shaw said...

I love that excerpt. That definitely sounds like a protagonist I'd like to read a whole book about. :)

Aaron Polson said...

Jamie - All about time management. I do better when I have too much to do.

Natalie - Joy! I will make such pretty lies.

Mercedes - Mmmmm...pizza.

Danielle - I hate the visual, but the word has a nice feel. ;)

K.C. - I think I'm going to enjoy writing a book about him. I think.

Cate Gardner said...

The stubborn monkey actually appears rather promising. :D

Barry Napier said...

Stupid stubborn butt nugget monkey....

(wait, is that a punk band?)

Andrea Allison said...

butt-nugget...interesting choice of words

Happy Grammar Day!