Friday, March 19, 2010

Howard's Game Part 8; Port Iris #1 Up

Transcript of Missing Child Report from Action 6 News, Springdale, October 1st, 2009

Anchor: We have a new Amber Alert this evening for a ten-year-old from the Suncrest Heights neighborhood. Michael Renfro has dark brown hair and blue eyes. He was last seen leaving Suncrest Elementary after school this afternoon. According to his parents, Michael walks home from school traveling south on Harvard Avenue to Sixth Street. Any information regarding Michael can be directed to our tips hotline, (811) 766-TIPS.



Transcript of conversation between Howard Talbot and Mrs. Cheryl Manlo, Counselor, October 2nd, 2009

CM: Do you know what I want to talk about Howard?

HT: Talk talk talk. (giggles)

CM: Howard, this is serious. Mike’s parents are worried.

HT: Mike?

CM: Mike Renfro, Howard. He’s missing. He never came home last night, and his mother has called the police. It was on the news.

HT: (whispering) I didn’t do anything to M-mike.

CM: You and Mike had some arguments on the playground—

HT: (raising voice) I didn’t do anything to Mike.

CM: Howard, I know things have been difficult. I’m sorry to hear about your dad.

HT: I’m not.

CM: (chair creaks) Let me start again. Do you know where Mike is, Howard?

HT: (mumbles)

CM: What was that?

HT: Shovel man’s got him.

CM: Howard? Howard Mike’s parents just want to know that he’s okay. Can you tell me where Mike is?

HT: I’m not in charge of shovel man. (giggles) Shovel man ain’t through with him, yet.

CM: Howard…why are you smiling, Howard? Is Mike okay?

(end)

And if you haven't had enough of me this week, Port Iris #1 is up, featuring the latest edition to the Gary Sump Mythos, "The Awful Majesty of Being Gary". It's a retelling (of sorts) from a 3rd person perspective.

7 comments:

Jamie Eyberg said...

That kid is NOT invited to my place to play.

Katey said...

A few points:

1. What Jamie said. That. Was. Awesome. Showing so much by saying so little-- oh it makes me want to go and read Dracula again. (Which is way, way wordier, but you know. The Old Skool Version!)

2. I love that you can write something so tense and creepy and then make me burst into inappropriate laughter in the middle of it. (I refer, of course, to this line: "To them, he was Gary, the life-bringer, not Gary, the man with steadily growing body odor".) Oh the awkwardness. How I adore it.

3. Man, the thing with the first squirrel is creepy as hell. (It only gets creepier from there-- ahh little blasphemer-pikes!!) Well done. I missed old Gary, I really did. My favorite angry little god.

Cate Gardner said...

Double the brilliance. :D

Aaron Polson said...

Jamie - I gave him your address.

Katey - Thanks. Really. Reader feedback keeps me going. I wasn't sure Gary worked, but it's fun taking chances.

Cate - Triple the thank you. ;)

Fox Lee said...

Kids and their not so imaginary friends do the darndest things.

Akasha Savage. said...

oooh...I like! :)

Danielle Birch said...

Creepy excellence.