Wednesday, September 23, 2009

WIP Wednesday: Zombie Snails!

How could I watch this video about zombie snails and not be inspired to write something?


I call my take "Guided by Wire" and it will appear in a future edition of the new Night Chills magazine. A man who eats of the snail that has eaten of the worms...

Okay, so what am I working on, now? I finished "Tap, Tap" last weekend...it needs some significant edits, but I do like the ending. Nothing is more important than the end of a short story (only if nothing is another name for the beginning).

I'm halfway through another piece I'm calling "Shallow Drownings". Damn if Lovecraft isn't still sitting on my shoulder, this story involves swimming pool portals, a remorseful father, and little invaders that take the form of children (children a little like those in The Brood). I have one more short I want to wrap up before the end of the month. "Tony's Apartment" has sat half-finished for about three months, and now is the time.

October is for novel edits (Loathsome, Dark and Deep)...November...well, maybe I'll do NaNoWriMo again. Maybe.

From "Shallow Drownings":

“I didn’t know who else to call, Mick.” The thinner of the men fidgeted with his wedding ring. “If I call the cops—”

“I am the cops, Steve.” Mick pulled in a lungful of night air and pushed back his broad shoulders. He took a step toward the body, tilting his head for a better look at the mass of disordered blonde hair. “Looks young. Maybe twelve…thirteen. You don’t know who she is?”

Steve paced forward, then back. “I swear to God man.”

Mick pulled on a latex glove and knelt next to the body. He poked a cheek with his finger, testing for warmth. “All right. Here’s what you need to do. Call 911.”

“But—”

“But I was never here, got it?”

Steve nodded.

Have a magnificent Wednesday. For those of you who check the time stamp: it's early here. Stupid allergy season.

15 comments:

Alan W. Davidson said...

Enjoyed the excerpt. I also noticed the time stamp. I think that if I'm doing Nano this year, I'll have to be getting up regularly at those hours. And cool zombie snails...if I hadn't seen the video, I would have assumed that you were making the story up!

K.C. Shaw said...

"Shallow Drownings" sounds deliciously horrifying. I really like the excerpt.

I hope you do NaNoWriMo this year!

Jamie Eyberg said...

Have to watch the video later. Sound cool. Darn allergies (and very glad I have none).

Cate Gardner said...

Nice excerpt and plot hints.

I keep changing my mind about whether I'm doing NaNo or not, I guess that beast called time will be the decider.

Aaron Polson said...

Alan - no guarantees on NaNo...but I'm considering it.

K.C. - I'd like to title a collection "Shallow Drowings" Wouldn't that be delicious?

Jamie - Nature is creepy.

Cate - I might do a "half-Nano", meaning start a book and aim for at least 25K. Time is a beast.

Anonymous said...

Come on, Aaron. Do NaNoWriMo. You know you want to. Join ussssss.

I am just stunned by your phenomenal output! You always have several projects in the works. It's inspiring.

I think I love artwiculate.

Katey said...

Nice teaser, man-- I'm totally into it. Pretty impressive for a few paragraphs, but no more than I've come to expect. (No pressure, dude.)

Damn if Lovecraft isn't still sitting on my shoulder
Mmm Lovecraft Angel.

I'm sure he's the angel one. Right? Right.

Aaron Polson said...

Thanks, Mercedes. NaNo...I dunno. My desire for multiple projects affects my novel writing stamina.

Katey - Lovecraft is most definately the angel. The angel with tentacles.

Danielle Birch said...

I have allergy season too. Yeah, go on, sign up for NaNo.

Danielle Birch said...

I mean, I "hate" allergy season too. Too much editing lately is making me cross-eyed.

Unknown said...

"Shallow Drownings" is making my throat close up just thinking about it.

Zombie snails. I can't believe that's real.

Carrie Harris said...

I just saw that video the other day. Darn you for beating me to posting it.

I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Aaron Polson said...

Danielle - allergies are murder, pure and simple.

Jeremy - Zombie Snails are nothin' Check this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8

Carrie - You have to be quick to catch the zombie snails...wait...

Oh nevermind.

Mary Rajotte said...

Damn allergies, indeed. And damn those creepy kids! ~has a flash of Children of the Corn~

You did well with "Tap, Tap". The title alone gives me the creeps...

Katey said...

Tentacle angels! Oh THERE is a good idea for a story!