Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Horror of...Children's Books?

I have a flash piece entitled "Fuzzy" online at Flashes in the Dark today. This one was inspired by Owen, a children's book by Kevin Henkes about a little mouse-boy who doesn't want to give up his fuzzy yellow blanket. (The book also inspired my oldest son's name.)


How do I decide what to write? I like to steal from children's literature. Well, in Owen, the title character has a blanket he loves very much. So much so, that the blanket goes with him everywhere. The writer in me asked, "What about after death?" (I had just finished Pet Sematary when I wrote "Fuzzy", so there you go...)

The main conflict in Owen revolves around the fact that the little boy is too old for his blanket (going off to school) and his parents need to find a way of separating him from the fuzzy companion. In my story, well...a boy always knows his special blanket. I'll leave it at that.

Tomorrow: A review of The Day of the Triffids. Yes, I take "forever" to finish a book. More on that tomorrow, too.

13 comments:

K.C. Shaw said...

I love it! Totally, utterly creepy, but oddly poignant too. I hope the little guy ended up finding his blankie.

Cate Gardner said...

Too sad and very creepy. Good work, Aaron.

Bobbie Metevier said...

Yes, that was creepy!

Aaron Polson said...

K.C. - that was my idea

Thanks, Cate.

Bobbie - Creepy is what I do best, I suppose.

Fox Lee said...

You're never too old for a blankie : )

Danielle Birch said...

I agree. Definitely very creepy. Loved it too.

Aaron Polson said...

Natalie - too true. I know I have one.

Danielle - thanks;)

BT said...

Very nice. I haven't been chilled by anything so short in a while - seriously well done.

Aaron Polson said...

Thanks, BT.

Carrie Harris said...

Um... I just stumbled on your new caster story at Ruthless Peoples. You didn't take THAT from children's literature too, did you?

Loved the piece, by the way!

Aaron Polson said...

Carrie - um...no. That was inspired by a foreign film. And the news. The news sucks.

Robert said...

Liked the story for the most part, though I'm not sure how I felt about the two different POVs in such a short piece. Still, enjoyable.

Aaron Polson said...

Yeah, I struggled with the POV issues. I'm not sure I like it, either.