Monday, November 22, 2010

Plot Wrangling & The Bradbury Year

I've struggled with my WIP. Some lines have jumped, fully formed, from my brain like Athena from the head of Zeus. Beautiful lines. Someone else's lines.

And then I sat back this weekend and wonder what the hell it was all about.

My plot needed a unifying theme, something to bring all the bits into line. I think I found it, but I'm not showing my hand. Yet. Let's just say there's something worse in town than the dead coming back to life. (Should I mention the dead are afraid of the "something worse"?)

I really want to finish this novella/novel/whatever-the-hell-it-is before the end of the year because...

I'm participating in Write 1/Sub 1 next year. (Thanks to Milo James Fowler and co.)

Here's the rationale:

1. I love short stories. I love writing them and I love reading them.

2. I love Ray Bradbury.

3. It's an opportunity to spend a year doing something I love and following in the "footsteps" of an author I respect.

How can I lose?

People preach that writers need to have a platform, a message, a central "thing". If I do, mine is the sheer love of storytelling. I believe in short fiction. I think it can save the world.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with the "whatever the hell it is" and with Write1Sub1. I'm leaning towards participating in that, myself.

Aaron Polson said...

Thanks, Gef.

I'm not sure if I have a year's worth of commitment, but here's to trying!

Barry Napier said...

Looks like YOU have a problem with generating too many novel ideas, too. Judge not less ye be judged, Mister...

(This boo is sounding cooler and cooler every day btw)...

Anonymous said...

Honored to have you on board, sir! Next year's going to be a BLAST.

Cate Gardner said...

If anyone can succeed at this it's you. I'll be watching with interest.

Simon Kewin said...

Delighted to have you on board with W1S1. It'll be a lot of fun I'm sure.

Katey said...

Gosh, that's definitely going to make the world an awesomer place! I'm so excited!!

(When I tried to even consider the possibility of doing it myself, my brain throbbed dangerously. It WILL explode just to spite me.)

Aaron Polson said...

Barry...but it's only one book. One!

Milo - I'm approaching it with a little trepidation, but enthusiasm.

Cate - I hope so. (ulp)

Simon - Adventures always are (fun). Glad to be in the fold.

Katey - My head might explode. Quite possible, actually.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Glad to have you aboard the Bradbury Express. That trepidation you feel is normal, like edging your toe over the end of the high dive board for the first time. Then you slip, land on your butt, pinwheel through the chlorine laden air, and do a belly flop into the drink. Voila! You've done it.

Aaron Polson said...

Ha! It'll be fun. Fantastic. Mind-bending.

Fox Lee said...

Mine is male nudity, though I try to keep it under my hat.

Danielle Birch said...

Oh, I love that the dead are afraid of the something else. Good luck with it :)

Aaron Polson said...

Yes, Natalie. You are very subtle. ;)

Danielle - I'm a little scared, too, to tell you the truth.