Friday, June 3, 2011

Five Question Friday: Judi Coltman

Five Questions with Judi Coltman...

What subject was the hardest for you in school?

Math - Hands down. When Algebra came along and added letters to stand for numbers, I was finished. It seemed wrong to force letters and sounds into a fixed formula that equated to numbers. Then came geometry. I can't even say the word without an intestinal physical reaction.

If you could live in anywhere in the world, where would it be?

I would live exactly where I intend to live in 3 years. Palm Springs, California. There is something about this verdant oasis in the desert that feels like a world apart. That being said, I would have to maintain an apartment in Rome, Italy and one in San Francisco, CA for diversion.
What three things are always in your refrigerator?

Greek yogurt. Lots of greek yogurt. I am an addict and could possibly do with a 12 step program where it is concerned. Blueberries, anti-oxidents kids! Start now. Finally, eggs. Scrambled eggs are my comfort food. Pretty boring, huh.

What is the hardest part of being a writer?

I chose this question because writing can be quite difficult. Contrary to what many believe, it is almost impossible to sit down at a keyboard and pound out a book. Often, research is required. What really happens to a dead body after it has been discarded in the ocean and left for sharks? You can't just make it up or you lose credibility with your reader. However, that is not the hardest part. The absolute hardest part for me is balancing my real life with my writing life. I am a parent, active community member and educator. A writer should, by definition make writing the priority, but it doesn't work that way. I don't have a quiet garret where I can hide and concentrate. Truth be told, I sit in front of my TV (I like the background noise) and, on my laptop, try to squeeze in a half an hour here or there between my priority. . .my family. I would hate to lose the important moments because I was writing.

If you couldn't write, how would you spend the time you now use for writing?

If could not write, I might just truly go nuts! But, in the spirit of the question. . .if I could not write, I have other creative outlets. I am an artist and dabble in different medias. I draw and paint (watercolors) and I also upcycle books into art. I have even sold some of them. Writing is my joy. I write when I am walking, I write when I am out with friends, I just don't always get it down on "paper" until later.


My book, "Is It Just Me? or Is Everyone a Little Nuts!" is a humor book that has been enjoyed by a wide range of readers. I write about topics everyone can relate to. My book is available in paperback at :

My website, http://www.judicoltman.com, where there is an excerpt.

Follow my blog, "My Life In A Nutshell" at http://www.jcoltman.blogspot.com

No comments: