Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Top Five Frankenstein's Monsters

I haven't done a top five in quite some time. It's not much of a secret I love Frankenstein and his monster. Here are my favorite from film and TV:

#5: Fred Gwynne as Herman Munster - Scary? No. But Herman was made of awesome.


#4: Robert De Niro - Branagh's movie has flaws, but when De Niro ripped out Elizabeth's heart, mine almost stopped.


#3: David Prowse - Prowse is best know for his role as Darth Vader (the body not the voice) in the original Star Wars trilogy. But he gets the bump above the others because he played two very different monsters, from the hunk in The Horror of Frankenstein (1970) and the furry beastie in Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974), both from Hammer.



#2: Christopher Lee - Lee would win every monster contest if it wasn't for Karloff and Lugosi. His staggering monster from 1957's Curse of Frankenstein (Hammer) was truly grotesque.


#1: Boris Karloff - My first love. Could there be any other #1?


Who is your favorite monster?

6 comments:

Simon Kewin said...

Yes, has to be Karloff. I could be smart and say "man", though, because of course that's kind of the point of the original book. The creature becomes a monster because of people's reaction to him ...

Aaron Polson said...

Ah, yes. At least I didn't write "top five Frankensteins". That one really burns me.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Boris has got to be tops of anyone's list (though who hasn't got a soft spot for Fred Gwynne?)

Fox Lee said...

The blog. I like watching people dissolve.

Danielle Birch said...

I've always been quite partial to Boris Karloff.

Katey said...

That IS number one, noooo doubt.

But yeah, I thought DeNiro was awesome, too. He really surprised me--that movie rocks.