Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Horror! (of a meme)

I'm "it"...along with a pile of other people. Natalie Sin has tagged me, and now I must share the infection with five other people. And I choose...

What do they do, pray tell?

This: fill a post with pics from horror movies, each following a theme. Can you guess what theme we're working with? Eh?


1.
2.



3.



4.



5. (Sorry it's so tiny...I couldn't find a better screen grab)



6. (I know, WTF?)

7. (no...he's NOT a zombie)

The movies:


1. The Thing (1982, John Carpenter)

2. Videodrome (1982, David Cronenberg)

3. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1996, Kenneth Branagh)

4. Eraserhead (1977, David Lynch)
5. Alien (1979, Ridley Scott) *this shot is actually from the deleted scenes
6. The Brood (1979, David Cronenberg)
7. The Fly (1986, David Cronenberg)
What do they have in common...
Major body alteration/mutilation--and not in the standard, hack-you-up-Texas-Chainsaw-Massacre way. Body dysmorphia is a scary thing, folks. Dying...yeah, that's scary, but everybody has to do it eventually. Getting turned into an egg sac for an Alien queen (ala #5)? F*ck that.
Have fun.



14 comments:

Katey said...

Agreed!

Also, I love Eraserhead still. I always think it'll lose it's charm now that I'm not a weird little college kid, but then I watch it again and am still impressed.

And Alien, well, yikes. Those are the scariest movies ever for a reason. :/

K.C. Shaw said...

Eek, I don't want to watch any of those movies. Icky!

Fox Lee said...

I'm with you. The only egg sacks I'm interested in are inside fish.

Akasha Savage. said...

Gross. Well,that's put me off my tea! :D

Brendan said...

I got turned into an egg sack for an alien queen once.

Once.

Aaron Polson said...

Katey - I even tried to nab the scene in Aliens where half the marines have become egg sacs, but alas...I couldn't find it. When Ripley has to go below to find the little girl (whatshername), well that sh*t freaked me the hell out.

K.C. - Icky effects, yes. But they're all really good movies, too--not just gorefests.

Natalie - Now you've scared me.

Akasha - Sorry 'bout that. I'm sure you'll recover. ;)

Brendan - Was she hot, 'cause if she was...

Paula RC said...

I can't watch horror films, but I love a good pschyological thriller or even a dark, scary film, just not horror.

Laurita said...

This was a great theme, although I almost turned back at that first picture.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Thanks for the taggage. I have attempted to match your evilness.

Cate Gardner said...

I was too busy trying not to look at the pictures to guess the theme. Thankfully I'd already eaten my lunch. :D

Thanks for the tag.

Barry Napier said...

Eraserhead FTW. God, that movie STILL gets to me...

Aaron Polson said...

Jamara - For the most part I feel the same way. These are just a few "classics" which lend well to the visual theme of the meme.

Laurita - Very creepy indeed.

Alan - Lovely list.

Cate - I acheived horror then, right?

Barry - Bizarre, yet infinitely watchable.

Danielle Birch said...

Suddenly breakfast is sitting very uncomfortably in my stomach :)

Kara McElhinny said...

Hey Aaron!!

Thanks for the tag, and the gross pictures in the morning! Man... my kids are looking over my shoulder and I had to click off the page for a moment, but not before I realized that my eldest was like "Oooh, Mommy, what's that?? LOL... um, a girl who picked her scab right?

It's good to see ya around, hopefully I'll be blogging some more very soon! Gonna go read your other posts!

Happy Writing!
Kara