Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Heat? Who Needs Heat? (I do)

We woke this morning to declining temperatures in our house, thanks in to a spent HSI element in the furnace.

The good news? No school today for Aaron...not that I want to stay home with the frigid house, but we do have a space heater. Maybe I can write a little extra today if my fingers don't freeze.

I gave up on The House of Leaves again. If anyone has finished that book, please let me know. This was my second attempt, and I tried to enter the house prepared. But like Navidson and his crew, I failed miserably. The story is really chilling--one of the most soul-sucking pieces of horror I've ever attempted. When the book degenerates into two-three words per page with nonsense in the margins and other strange printing techniques, I'm done. Truly a masterpiece...but I wonder if anyone can be finished, really finished with that book. If you've never seen a copy, I encourage you to at least scan the bookstore shelves and skim. You'll understand.

So, I'm reading Secret Lives by Jeff VanderMeer. It's funny, poignant. More accessible than The House of Leaves.

Hopefully the HVAC guy will be here soon...I think I can see my breath.

8 comments:

Rob Brooks said...

I had a similar problem with my furnace last winter...we actually heated the hosue with six space heaters most of the winter till I could afford the piece for the furnace. Not a fun winter.

I've never heard of Ths House of Leaves, but I will definitely look it up. Sounds intriguing.

Katey said...

Ugh, that's the worst. Here's wishing you a helpful furnace tech and something less soul-sucking. Or, at least, something soul-sucking in a fun and finishable way. (I dig VanderMeer.)

Jamie Eyberg said...

As with Katey, I dig VanderMeer. Have fun and don't lets the tips of your fingers break off as you pound furiously on the keyboard.

Anonymous said...

I will now be checking out The House of Leaves...

Aaron Polson said...

No doubt, House of Leaves is a masterpiece, but it's like climbing K2.

Fox Lee said...

Ying would be in heaven. The little freak LIKES it when the bedroom is freezing.

Carrie Harris said...

I own House of Leaves and have read it through twice. It's even better if you read it in conjunction with the cd of the same name by Poe. They're sister and brother, and the cd and book are actually supposed to go together.

Hope the heat thing works out. :)

Aaron Polson said...

Carrie - I love that album. Didn't help once the book went ga-ga. I'm not good at multitasking. ;)