Monday, October 13, 2008

On Resilience, Batman Costumes, Other Things

Consider this first bit a self-pep talk.

I would like to thank everyone who read and/or commented on "Reciprocity". As a fledgling writer, I receive no greater boost than knowing that someone reads my stuff. The positive nods are just a bonus. Thank you.

There is a lesson in that story that I need to remember as a fledgling writer. I'd received five rejections before landing it with The Battered Suitcase. What if I gave up? Sometimes, being resilient is the most difficult of all choices, but it is the only choice that matters.

Part two: the Halloween Costumes.

I may need to consult Carrie Harris on this (if we have any Batman eyebrow issues): the whole fam is dressing as characters from Batman. Yep. Owen (5) will be the caped crusader, Max (2) will be Robin, Aimee will be Bat-Woman, and me...Alfred, the butler.

Yes, Alfred, Bruce Wayne's butler. You should see the bow tie...in fact, I'll make sure to post some pictures.

Finally, a movie rec:

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is go. I remember all those cheese ball John Hughes movies from the 80s, and will admit, under interrogation, that I enjoyed most. Michael Cera is this generation's John Cusak (remember Say Anything?). Now, if I could just go to the movies without seeing my students...hurm.

7 comments:

Jamie Eyberg said...

cool batman idea. my fam won't do anything near that fun for the holiday (is it really a holiday or just an excuse to dress up?)

Nick and Nora was fun. i don't go to a ton of movies (the last one was Night at the Museum) but it was a fun ride and if I ever catch my kids being that irresponsible I will wonder where I went wrong.

Catherine J Gardner said...

Reading that Reciprocity was rejected five times makes me worry a whole lot less about my stories that have gathered multiple rejections.

Oh, I loved the John Hughes movies. Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club were my favourites.

Aaron Polson said...

Jamie - I don't want to think about my kids growing up...yikes!

Cate - I've watched The Breakfast Club too many times to count...unfortunately, most viewings were on TV and the dialogue was edited heavily.

Natalie L. Sin said...

Catalog Sales was fun! Perfect for a Halloween issue ; )

Carrie Harris said...

My keen Bat-knowledge is at your disposal. And you've GOT to post pics. I've been advocating a themed approach for years now, but it just isn't going to happen this year. We've got Superman, a Templar Knight, fairies, and a cheerleader. I'll leave you to figure out which one I am. ;)

Aaron Polson said...

Natalie - I originally intended that story for Harvest Hill.

Carrie - um...the Knight Templar? Have you seen The Blind Dead? Wait until after Halloween. Really.

Natalie L. Sin said...

Just read "In Green Water" over at Tales from the Moonlit Path. Such a sweet, sad story.