Sunday, August 31, 2008

Bye-bye August

August was not my most productive writing month, but with the start of school and other editorial responsiblilities, I can't complain too much.

I finished/sent only three new stories:

"Barrel Two" at 1,550 words (rejected by Dark Jesters, but with some encouraging feedback--it's out there in the submissions process again)

"The Way of Things in Fly-Over Country" at 3,600 words (sent to The World is Dead)

"Room 342 has a Long Memory" at 2,300 words (second try at Malpractice)

I also wrote two other short pieces--and both need editing:

"Tunnel Vision" at 1,400 words

"Cookies" at 1,000 words

(both insipred by expiences with my kids)

I'm not really churning out as much new material as I have in the past, but I personally think the quaility is better (I'm spending more time on the editing/revision phase). Now, will the editors of the world feel the same way? There's the rub.

4 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

Yeah quality should always win over quantity - I just need to keep repeating that and reminding myself.

Still, that's a very decent production for August.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I understand the frustration with August. I don't know what it is about that month. At least it is behind us and we can look forward to a productive and storied September.

Aaron Polson said...

I blame the heat, Jamie. Press on toward September.

Cheers, Cate.

Fox Lee said...

You're doing more than me! August was a funny month. Went by too fast and I didn't get nearly enough done : P