Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Cutting and Pasting, Spunky Little Book, Eaters of the Dead

My short story, "Cut and Paste" was accepted for the upcoming Mother Goose is Dead anthology. The story was sort of inspired by the "Elves and the Shoemaker", but with severed body parts and a secret society. I hope this one flies because I like the concept.

To help push my prose, I'm currently reading, Spunk & Bite, a nice little style guide for contemporary writers. It's funny, informative, and urges me to squeeze out all the power I can from each word, sentence, etc. Hopefully my prose will sparkle and shimmer just a bit after digesting this one.




Speaking of biting and dead things...I took my son to the Natural History Museum at Kansas University for the 500th time this morning (we writers call this hyperbole). I watched a little video about Dermestid Beetles. And I quote my favorite bit:

"They are carnivores. They eat the flesh of the dead."

Now if that doesn't inspire horror, what does.

2 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

CONGRATULATIONS - That's a fantastic anthology to be a part of and one I will definitely be buying.

Unknown said...

Thanks. I'm looking forward to something interesting on the cover.