Sunday, June 22, 2008

Fred Does Like Calamari...

I call my subconscious mind Fred. I blame this on Mr. Damon Knight (great writer--penned the screenplay to the Twilight Zone episode, "To Serve Man"). He suggests tossing ideas to Fred and letting him work away for a while in his book, Creating Short Fiction. If you write short stories, especially speculative ones, I can't recommend the book highly enough.



Well, it seems Fred likes tentacles. I really, really didn't want to write anything for The Book of Tentacles (once they reject the story, where does it find a home?). But Fred wouldn't leave it alone. I sent the story ("Admiral Atlantic's Guerrilla Marketing") off this evening, fingers crossed.

Let's just say it involves calamari, comic books, the Environmental Protection Agency, and um, flamethrowers. Needless to say, there is a touch of satire in this one. Will the editors like satire?--Ay, there's the rub.

...mmm, calamari...

1 comment:

Rhonda Parrish said...

Good luck :) I'm trying to come up with something for that anthology too. Alas, no luck yet.